About East West Karate Academy
in Sparta, NJ
East West Karate Academy - A Tradition of Excellence for over 25 Years
Welcome to our school! We study the Isshinryu form of Karate, which is an Okinawan style emphasizing speed, simplicity, and practical self-defense. Isshinryu translates to "One-Heart Style ". And we truly have one big heart!
East West began in 1989 and in 1992, we opened a second dojo. Both were combined into one Academy in 1999. Our new location is just plain awesome with state of the art mats and equipment, super clean floors and a fun, friendly feel for your entire family!
At East West, we love what we do and it shows...
- Quality Instruction: We are committed to providing a safe and caring environment for you to learn. Our certified instructors go through a teaching program designed for proper instruction, which makes learning fun and exciting. Who knew that kicks, punches and throws could be so cool?
- Flexible Schedule: East West offers a variety of classes for all age groups. That way you can attend classes that fit YOUR school, work and extracurricular activity schedules.
- Growth: New students typically begin by attending classes twice a week. You can take private lessons with any of our instructors, to further improve your skills or make up a missed class. you 'll never feel lost or behind here.
- Competition: Take what you learn to a whole new level! If you want to compete, you can participate in various local and national tournaments throughout the year. We also have a Spartan Competition Team. This is an AAU Special team that offers an opportunity to be part of the USA Team to qualifying participants. Imagine that!
- Dojo Programs, Private Lessons, After-School Programs & Birthday Parties: We 're here to help make your life easier however we can.
All Ages and Skill Levels Are Welcome
East West provides martial arts programs whether you 're beginner, intermediate or advanced. Karate provides a healthy and exciting way to learn new skills, increase strength and focus.
Between the bows, high fives and getting to know all the new friends you 'll make, there is group stretching and conditioning, basic exercises of stances, punches, throws and kicks. Students are then separated into groups according to age, rank and ability, to learn and improve specific techniques for each group.
Studying karate isn 't just about the moves. you 'll also learn about physical fitness, conditioning, agility and balance. That means you 'll be super healthy, strong and quick! you 'll never have to worry about being bullied in school...or anywhere.
Karate also helps you unwind and relieve stress and can also provide a form of meditation.
Your Goals Are Our Goals
We set short- and long-term goals to:
- Develop commitment and dedication skills
- Lose weight and "tone up "
- Increase strength, balance and flexibility
- Learn self-defense
- Boost confidence
Our instructors are gentle but firm, and stress the importance of developing a positive mental attitude. They love what they do and because their reputation is important, they continually work on self-improvement through the art of karate.
Training, getting incredibly fit and having massive amounts of FUN don 't end with just karate. Other focuses of study include:
- Kali & Eskrima - traditional martial arts of the Philippines that emphasize weapon-based fighting with sticks, knives, bladed weapons and various improvised weapons.
- Jujitsu - a Japanese martial art and a method of close combat for defeating an armed and armored opponent in which one uses no weapon or only a short weapon.
- Judo - its most noticeable feature is its competitive element, where the objective is to either throw or takedown an opponent to the ground, immobilize or otherwise subdue an opponent with a pin, or force an opponent to submit with a joint lock or a choke.
- Okinawan Weapons - The physical conditioning that weapons offer karate stylists has increased their popularity in recent years.
A Healthy Balance of Learning New Skills, Getting Good at it & Having Fun
Each class is professionally planned and taught in a disciplined way to develop a proper attitude and environment for learning. But we also make it LIVELY and FUN because they 're kids. Your kids...and ours. We 're family here.
Our large staff increases the teacher/student ratio to keep your child safe, get the individual attention they 're here for and to feel that one heart style. Students are taught to always do their best, in and out of the dojo.
Check out our super awesome web special going on right now. Register today because our classes fill up fast, especially with this fantastic deal!
Are you ready to experience the best prices, the most caring staff, and have the most fun you 've EVER had getting fit? We look forward to seeing you soon!
Scott Klinger began training in Isshinryu Karate in 1974 and has been actively training for over 40 years.
He was promoted to First Degree Black Belt in 1982. Through Shihan Nick Adler, Scott is now a 8th Degree Black Belt in Isshinryu Karate, and a First Degree Black belt in Okinawan Kempo Kobudo.
Scott has traveled to Okinawa, Japan on two occasions to train with world renowned Masters and has trained in many different martial arts including Judo, Jiu-jitsu, and Kali.
Mr. Klinger also conducts his own Karate Camp in New Jersey which is an intensive multi-day program for over 100 students.
Scott has a long list of impressive awards including:
- Instructor Award from Okinawa Japan in 1994
- First Degree Black Belt Okinawan Kempo Kobudo (Reading, PA) in 1997 American Council of Martial Arts Certification in 2000
- Tactical Master Instructor in CDT "Non Lethal Force Certification in 2001 "Survive " Instructor Certification in Last Resort Tactics
- NJ State AAU Champion in Kata, Kumite & Weapons in 2002
- In 2007, he won State Champion in both fighting and forms
- Instructor Certificate from LIU in 2003
- Serves as a Chief Referee at AAU Regional Karate Championships
- Recipient of the Samurai Spirit Award in 1997 for his ability to place in all three categories (forms, weapons, sparring) time and time again
- Inducted into the AOKA (American Okinawan Karate Association) Hall of Fame in 1999 as a Master Instructor and Silver Lifetime Achievement Award in 2004
- Won Grand Champion at the Karate International Association Championships, New Orleans in 2004
- In 2007, the AOKA Hall of Fame awarded him "Teacher of the Year "
- In both 2007 and 2009, Scott was the first place winner in master 's forms (kata) at Don Nagel Karate Championships
- Inducted into the Isshinryu Karate Hall of Fame in 2012
Scott has brought his expertise to many age groups in the community through programs such as Women 's Self Defense and Rape Awareness seminars.
He 's also designed a program for children with spina bifida and cerebral palsy for Overlook Hospital in NJ.
Mr. Klinger has held demonstrations and lectures on martial arts, self-defense and family protection for many educational, athletic and social organizations throughout the United States.
He 's had satellite locations for after school Karate programs including Camp Auxillium in Newton NJ, St Joseph 's School Newton NJ, Kiddie Academy Sparta NJ, Oak Tree Children 's Center Sparta NJ, Reverend Brown School Sparta NJ, Green Twp Public School Newton NJ and Fredon Township Schools Fredon NJ.
Scott has coached hundreds of students that have received medals at the AAU National Karate Championships since 2007. Some of which have competed internationally on Team USA in Japan, Germany, Spain and Hungary.
Our East West Family of instructors are all "home grown, " meaning they are never hired from anywhere else. Each one has earned a black belt at East West. They are parents or students who have taken special training with Sensei Klinger on the methods of teaching.
How to Get Started
Come join our Sparta, NJ Martial Arts facility! We offer programs in Kids Martial Arts, Adult Martial Arts, Summer Camp, and Birthday Parties. Choose a program that most interests you and have the opportunity to sign-up right here on our site for one of our awesome web specials. Or feel free to give us a call at (973) 940-8915 if you have any further questions. East West Karate Academy hopes to speak with you soon!Get Started!